Friday, November 26, 2010

Z's First Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.



Who doesn't like a holiday where we celebrate what we're thankful for? What we have instead of have not? Who we have in our lives? And, of course, there's the eating.


This year was especially wonderful. We are so thankful for our darling daughter. I'm so thankful for my wonderful, adoring husband. And oh the blessings! We have a home, we have a car, we have jobs in this economy. We have two great little dogs, and the most supportive and loving families who are nearby.





It was quieter at the Vermilyea's home this year. We had about 17 people and 9 pies. Seriously. 9 pies. What does that average out to? about 2 people per pie!? Good Lord these people do it UP! Two turkey breasts, a large turkey, two roasts and all the fixings.












On top of all the food and the new baby this year, we are happy to know that our sister (-in-law) is going to move here with her 3 boys full time.

We just love these guys. They are so sweet and kind and spent a good portion of the days prior to Thanksgiving cooking and baking for the large meal.

The trick to having so much food is that you have leftovers for days. We're sitting here today plotting when we're going back to the house to devour more turkey and stuffing and the sweet potato casserole that I'm proud to say I made very well. I got to make a few Vermilyea family favorites, and really feel like I have arrived. I have always felt I am part of the family, but this sealed the deal.


The great part about joining a large family is that there is always room for one (or two) more. My parents have been with us for Thanksgiving for three years and they love to have a taste of the south. Mom made these delicious brussel sprouts au gratin and I think they went well with the rest of the food. Here are a few great photos of the day. I wonder how many other families ended their Thanksgiving celebrations with karaoke?!






















No comments:

Post a Comment